Sorts of hosting services
A hosting service means stashing and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server administered by a web hosting vendor. There are various types of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's have a gaze at these. Doing so, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you'd like to create a web portal, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with pals and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service furnished by various web hosts, which enables you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file hosting accounts are often supported by exhibiting ads by the download links, while a timer makes you await a certain span of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incorrect explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would apportion the workload between autonomous stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various website hosting services (email, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some corporations provide a hosting service for images only. This hosting kind is good if you wish to share a big quantity of pictures with mates or colleagues since the service is typically free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mail accounts. Some providers offer website hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you desire to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can set up e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a few videos and several hundred visitors, you may have trouble with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to administer as many video clips as you want to without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to own a web site. To a certain extent, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and e-mails, upload video files, etc. At 100WebSpace, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for specific web content only.